Comments

• From nubar on The Jazz Singer and a soulful doctor.

Telling Your Story Through Video: A behind-the-scenes look at our new video for faith leaders
    By Reverend Rosemary Lloyd, 03/15/2016

At The Conversation Project we aim to reach people where they live, work, and pray. To reach any of these segments with our message about the importance of having crucial conversations about wishes for end-of-life care, we understand that we need to deliver about eight different kinds of messages on a variety of platforms.

We’ve had great response to other videos we’ve posted on our website and shared with our national network (like “The Jazz Singer” which you can watch here). So when we decided to deliver a strong, clear message to our “pray” constituency across the country, we turned again to one of our trusted partners at Walker Creek Media, Nubar Alexanian, to help us.

Nubar and I trekked out together with his favorite assistant for a full day of shooting, to three locations, to interview leading members of the clergy in Boston. We spoke with Rev. Gloria White-Hammond MD, Rev. Nancy Taylor and Rabbi Ronne Freidman who generously shared their experiences of bringing The Conversation Project to their congregations.

Nubar has a sensitive and skillful eye for seeing people through a camera lens and capturing something essential about them on video. He created warm portraits of each of the featured speakers sitting in their offices at Bethel AME, Old South Church, and Temple Israel as they spoke of the impact The Conversation Project is having and can have on how people meet the challenge of talking about their mortality.

Nubar also has a storyteller’s ear. At the end of a long day of filming the interviews, he had more than 100 minutes of video footage that now had to be edited down to just 3 minutes to make a short, clear, and attention-holding program. (I think he must have the patience of a saint!)

When you see the final product, I hope you’ll agree: it makes a sensitive, clear case that having The Conversation–sooner rather than later—is a gift we give our loved ones. And it has a hopeful message that all clergy can share with their congregations: Using the Starter Kit is a tremendous opportunity to learn, as Rev. Nancy Taylor says, “It’s not just about the end of life; it’s about how you want to live until you die.”

2018/08/23 at 4:07 pm
  • From Vanya Garabedian on Scars of Silence

Thank you so much for making this film! My grandparents survived the Genocide and came to the U.S. in the 1920’s. Feeling called to visit my homeland ever since I can remember, I was finally able to spend 9 weeks last year volunteering in what is Armenia today. What it is to be Armenian today is do complex and layered.

I would love to see this film. When and where can I see this film?

Vanya Garabedian

2013/07/09 at 10:02 pm
    • From nubar on Scars of Silence

Thank you Vanya! We’re working very hard to raise the money to finish this film. You can help by making a donation here and by spreading the word.

2013/07/09 at 10:23 pm
  • From nubar on Scars of Silence

Thanks so much Syd! There are a couple of reasons for using black & white. First, these two clips are the only moments when someone is talking directly into the camera–to the viewer. Because of this, we needed a device to create a stronger connection between them. Second, Abby is recording herself with her iPhone and the resolution of the footage is very different (lower res). So I thought we could “crush” the image a bit to make their appearance look more deliberate. Make sense?

2013/05/10 at 8:25 pm
  • From Sydney Lewis on Scars of Silence

Oh Nubar, wow….. I’m choked up and on the edge of my seat wishing I could see the whole documentary RIGHT NOW. Those heart-stopping archival photos, the new footage, the great music, the emotion in you and Abby. The scene at the river, her talking about it….Tears in my eyes.
    This is so important a project.
    Just curious why using black and white of Abby in certain sections.
    Looking forward to seeing more!

2013/05/10 at 8:08 pm
  • From Beth on Scars of Silence

looks very interesting, where can I see this film or buy it ? my thoughts always go back to 1 finding this whole history in a book named ‘ Pearl’ , written by Donitha Dyer in the 70’s and have wanted more information about the history of it. thanx for your work and for the information : )

2013/05/09 at 12:15 pm
  • From nubar on Scars of Silence

Thanks Lara. Good luck with your thesis. It’s an important subject.

2013/03/17 at 2:20 am
  • From Lara Markarian on Scars of Silence

Hello! I am so excited to see that someone else has thought about looking at the Genocide from this perspective. My name is Lara and I am an undergraduate student at Georgetown University currently writing my senior thesis on healing and reconciliation, specifically in the Armenian Diaspora community. This work is inspirational and I am looking forward to seeing the final product.

2013/03/16 at 11:02 pm
  • From nubar on Scars of Silence

I watched your trailer of selects, and think that you have the makings of an incredibly powerful film.

The footage is beautiful. And Abby’s journey into her family’s past is incredibly powerful. Abby’s observations along the way are haunting and raw. And it’s a story that needs to be told. And ultimately, it’s Abby’s story to tell. She’s a beautiful, strong guide, and is captivating to watch as she retraces the footsteps of her ancestors.
    SM

2013/01/27 at 4:40 pm
  • From nubar on Scars of Silence

I just watched your trailer and am feeling so much…….tears, courage, tenderness, beauty, anger. This is so moving and I am just filled with admiration at the journey that you are making for the healing of so, so many people.

May your journey continue on and on, safely and very deeply.
    with so much gratitude for you all,
    SH

2013/01/27 at 4:37 pm
  • From nubar on Scars of Silence

From JD: Thank you for sending this to us. I have tears in my eyes as I write to you. I cry when I watch the trailer.

I have a client who has been suffering for years. We have referenced the genocide for years in our work as I always felt she had 3rd generation trauma from the Armenian genocide; both her parents are Armenian. Her grandmother with whom my client was close, came here when she was 15 – her entire family killed.

I sent her the trailer last night. I received the most beautiful email back from her. It is transformative. Her response was so authentic; she was deeply touched by what she saw. Her response has brought tears to my eyes. I am hoping she will give me permission to cut and paste some of the email to you so your own heart can be touched and encouraged by what you and Abby are doing.

In the meantime, she is asking for permission to send this to her Armenian community in hope of donations. Is it ok for her to circulate this?

Thanks again for listening to this story as one of many revealing the need for truth,
    Warmly,
    JD

Client’s Response:
    “I just finished watching it. I have no words…

I so want to see this complete movie made – to know the truth is out in the world for anyone to know.

This makes it all so much more real – I have seen the pictures, but not the beauty of the land. And the river – I did not know about the river, and my tears surprised me. But they felt like they came from a pure grief, a communal grief I guess. It made me gasp to hear that story.

The ‘death’ threats on facebook must have made it feel unsafe to share there. I am astonished that they were threatened this way. It must have made them feel what our ancestors felt. It makes it all the more imperative that this is finished and seen and witnessed…

Thank you for sharing this, and for knowing how important it is. I will donate what I can, but I want to know how to get the word out to more Armenians.

I am taken by both the sorrow and the connection this makes me feel. It is my peoples truth – their narrative.

How essential truth telling is – telling your story, being heard & believed.
    That is what this film is asking for, what my ancestors were denied, and what Armenians need.

Thank you with all my heart. Your words mean so much to me.
    Absolutely share what you choose with Nubar – I have no worries
    about my privacy. I feel safe, and heard.

Please tell him how touched I was – I keep thinking about the river…
    The horror felt closer – and I felt closer to my roots, which surprised me.
    It was so moving to see them bring his family back to their home where they belonged.

No matter what becomes of this film, I am sure that gave them some peace.”

2013/01/27 at 4:34 pm